National Honor Society
2019-2020 NHS Officers:
President - Dana Kruse
Vice President - Farrah Lewis
Secretary - Kary Ann Knoblock
Treasury- Shania Struckman
National Honor Society was created to recognize outstanding high school students. Congratulations to the new students who will be inducted to NHS along with the current members: Samantha Ebel, Cody Huisman, Kary Ann Knoblock, Dana Kruse, Farrah Lewis, Kiley Metzger, Sutton Schlumbohm, Shania Struckman, and Kiah Thiessen. For NHS membership, students must not only get good grades, but also have the characteristics of leadership, service, and character.
|New NHS Members|
|Emma Chase||Breyden Dieren||Gracie Duin|
|Allie Geerdes||Madelyn Holland||Jarret Meyer|
|Jay Waagmeester||Beau Daniels||Grace Heimensen|
|Hayden Heimensen||Carter Iwen||Lauren Langholdt|
|Tatum Jensen||Kalen Meyer||Luke Rasmussen|
|Daniel Schriever||Trey Vande Kop||Whitney Waagmeester|
“Being a part of the National Honor Society has been a great experience. Knowing that you were chosen to be a part of something so special by your teachers is an honor. NHS has changed and expanded my qualities of leadership, scholarship, service, and character. It has challenged all of our school’s members to exceed the expectations and hold other people to them ourselves. It has been something great to be a part of, and it is something that we will all take with us after we leave Central Lyon.” ~ written by CL Senior Callie Y.
Tentative NHS Timeline:
- 3rd week of September: All junior and senior students who are academically eligible for NHS (3.33 GPA or higher) receive their Student Information Forms.
- 1st week of October: Student Information Forms are handed in to the NHS adviser. 2 nd week of October: All high school teachers fill out a teacher comment sheet on all students who have indicated interest in NHS. (See Teacher Comment Sheet to the right.)
- 3rd week of October: NHS Faculty Council receive and review Student Information Forms and teacher comments for each student. Then, Faculty Council meet to discuss and vote on each student.
- 4th week of October: All students who indicated interest in NHS will receive a letter in the mail informing them whether they have been granted NHS membership.
- 1st week of November: In-school assembly honoring NHS members
- 3rd-4th week of November: NHS Induction Ceremony
*A few things to note: The faculty council is a rotating committee of 5 high school teachers who remain anonymous. The adviser does not cast a vote in the faculty council meeting. There is no set number of students that make NHS. There is no set percentage either. The council votes largely on the student information form and the comments from all of the teachers; therefore, the number of members vary each year.