Notice to Parents
Monday, March 16
Dear Central Lyon Families & Staff,
I am writing tonight to update students, families, and staff on plans Central Lyon Schools have been developing in partnership with the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) and Iowa Department of Education (IDOE) for students and staff to:
- Obtain their personal belongings currently at school,
- Distribute a survey so the IDPH, IDOE, and Central Lyon leaders can gather more information to further plan regarding
- Childcare for critical role parents/guardians,
- Food security of students & families,
- Internet & device accessibility, and
- Student learning needs,
- Remind students, families, staff, and residents of public health mitigation strategies to slow COVID-19, and
- Share future plans for the development & distribution of home-bound student learning resources for students and families.
Obtain Personal Belongings
Central Lyon Schools will be open from 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. for students, families, & staff to obtain their personal belongings, including medications, currently located at school. We are asking students, staff and families to follow the restrictions below:
- Only 50 students, parents/guardians, and staff members will be allowed in the school at any one time.
- Students, parents/guardians, and staff members may be asked to wait in their vehicles if more than 50 visitors are in the building at any particular time.
- Student drivers (those with school permits or licenses) are asked to attend by themselves.
- Parents/Guardians are asked to limit themselves to one (1) adult per family.
- DO NOT coordinate your arrival time with friends!
- All students, parents/guardians, and staff members must enter the building through the high school entrance.
- Central Lyon COVID-19 Planning Survey (tinyurl.com/CL-COVID-Survey) Spanish Version of the Feedback Survey (tinyurl.com/CL-COVID-EspanolEncuesta)
- Deadline:12:00 (midnight), Tuesday, March 17
- Laptops for digital completion & paper copies will be available in the high school office tomorrow from 8:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
Public Health Reminders
Schools across Iowa and the nation have been closed in order to limit the spread of COVID-19. We all have our part to play in reducing the viruses’ impact on our community, and we must be vigilant in our implementation of mitigation strategies, social distancing, and self-isolation – no matter how uncomfortable – in the coming days and weeks.
Students should NOT be regrouping and parents/guardians must insist that their student(s) social distance themselves. If students, families, and staff do not adhere to IDPH, IDOE, and CDC recommendations we are only setting our community up for a delayed outbreak of COVID-19. We all must do our part to flatten the curve of this virus. Please consult the following resources from IDPH and the CDC.
Future Plans for Student Learning
Central Lyon administrators and school leaders met today to begin planning for how teachers will develop and distribute home-bound student learning resources for students and families. We are taking the recommendations and guidance from the IDOE, capitalizing on the flexibility provided by the Iowa Legislature, and collaborating with schools across Iowa and surrounding states to develop meaningful resources for ALL students. The Central Lyon leadership team will continue to plan tomorrow and Wednesday, work with teacher-leaders on Thursday & Friday, engage all teachers in how to leverage our learning resources for home-bound learning next week, and plan to share them with students and families by Monday, March 30.
Thanks for your continued patience and understanding with us as we continue to deal with the challenges associated with COVID-19. Our mission will remain to develop productive, life-long learners – no matter the obstacles placed before us.