Notice to Parents
Friday, March 27
Dear Central Lyon Families & Staff,
Here is the latest information from the District.
Learning Resources Pick-Up
Many thanks to those who were able to pick up their learning materials from the Central Lyon “post office” this week. Not only did we distribute a variety of materials, we also distributed 177 Chromebooks to TK-6 grade students. The “post office” has now been moved into the vestibules at the entrance of each building. Preschool-grade 8 students may access any needed materials in the elementary/middle school entrance, and 9-12 grade students may access the high school vestibule for pick up.
Distance Learning Starts Monday
Many of you have heard from your teachers regarding the set up and delivery of our distance learning resources, which officially launches on Monday, March 30. Please be patient as we all continue to learn and grow in this new learning environment. As a reminder, you should expect the following during the next few weeks, albeit with some growing pains along the way:
- Students will reconnect with their teachers and peers using their school email, Canvas account, and Office 365 tools.
- Students will spend one (1) to two (2) hours engaged with learning resources each day, based on the recommendations listed below:
- Elementary students should spend a total of one hour (1) of study, 30 minutes devoted to Literacy and Math each day.
- Middle school students will have one to one and a half hours (1 -1.5) of learning daily.
- High school students will be expected to engage in a total of one and a half to two hours (1.5 -2) of learning daily.
- Teachers will develop two lessons, per week.
- PK-4 teachers will develop lessons for literacy and math.
- 5-12 teachers will develop lessons for each class they teach.
- Teachers will maintain eight (8) hours of “office hours” daily (Monday-Friday) in which students and families may schedule 15-minute video-chat sessions, phone conversations, or instant-messaging chats to continue their learning.
Please keep in mind teaching from a distance is new to all of us. Nearly all of our teachers have children at home with them, and often a spouse who is also working from home. Teachers are balancing the school district's demand to maintain eight (8) "office hours" each day, while also parenting and assisting their own students. I ask that you be respectful of their responsibilities to their children and families, and show them grace during this stressful time.
Prom & Commencement
I have received many questions about the future of prom and commencement. At this time, prom has been moved to Thursday, June 18, and I am fully committed to holding commencement exercises as well. These two activities will occur no matter how many times we may need to reschedule. The Central Lyon calendar will display the most accurate dates, and I will continue to update you with notices and social media posts.
Free Meals Available Monday - Friday
Each day this week we have increased the number of meals served, ending the week by serving 886 students. Wow! Central Lyon will continue to provide these free meals to all children/students 18-years of age and younger for grab-and-go service at the school (bus drop-off lane entrance), and in Doon at the public library parking lot. Meals are being delivered to those living outside the city limits of Rock Rapids and Doon. To receive this service, families should call the high school office: (712) 472-2664.
As we end week two of quarantine and social distancing, I want to again thank you for your patience and support. As a school district, we are very fortunate for the strength of our community, the love our families have for their children, the commitment our staff has to serving students, and our students’ desire to learn. I want to thank everyone for their optimism during this national crisis and test to humanity. Central Lyon is a very special place to call home!