Notice to Parents
Friday, August 7
Dear Central Lyon Students, Families & Staff,
The first day of school is fast approaching! In preparation for the return of students for in-person teaching and learning, Central Lyon teachers and administrators have been making updates to the Return to Learn Plan while contractors have been putting the final touches on updates to the elementary kitchen, locker rooms, and restrooms. Thanks to those families who have completed the registration process in JMC and our Central Lyon registration supplement to indicate whether your student(s) will be returning in-person or planning to continue their learning from a distance. If you have not completed the registration process, please utilize the following links to do so as soon as possible:
- JMC Registration or https://centrallyon.onlinejmc.com/
- Central Lyon Registration Supplement or https:/tinyurl.com/CL-Supplement
Return to Learn: On-Site Learning Considerations
As you may already know, the Iowa Department of Education (IDOE) and Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) released guidance for when schools may transition from in-person learning to temporary distance learning. In addition, the IDOE and IDPH has provided parents and schools with additional guidance when evaluating students and staff members who may be sick and need to stay home from school.
Central Lyon’s Return to Learn Team met this week to review the most recent guidance and update plans for on-site learning. Click on this link to read more about our on-site learning considerations and how we plan to welcome students and staff back in a little over a week.
I would like to highlight a few of the most important strategies we plan to implement in our effort to keep students and staff safe and healthy when school starts on August 19:
- Stay Home. Keep your student home if they have any of the following high-risk symptom – new cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, or new loss of taste or smell; or two or more low risk symptoms – fever, headache, muscle and body aches, fatigue, sore throat, runny nose, congestion, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
- Socially Distance. From busses to classrooms, in the lunchroom and other common areas, we will do our best to keep students six (6) feet from one another.
- Face Coverings. When students and staff cannot maintain six (6) feet of social distance, we recommend students and staff wear a face covering – mask or face shield.
- Hand Sanitizing. Students and staff are strongly encouraged to carry a personalized bottle of hand sanitizer to use as frequently as possible during the school day. Each classroom will have a bottle of hand sanitizer at the door, students will be required to sanitize on their way into the classroom and upon their exit.
- Visitors. All visitors, including parents/guardians, should call ahead before coming to school, and are strongly encouraged to make an appointment before arriving unannounced. Visitors may be asked to remain in the vestibule, and if granted access, may be limited to the office area.
- Monday, August 10.................................... High School Athletic Practices Begin
- Monday, August 17.................................... Back-to-School Night
- Wednesday, August 19............................... First Day of School / 2:15 Dismissal
- Thursday, August 27.................................. JV Volleyball @ Home / Varsity Volleyball @ Sioux Center
- Friday, August 28....................................... Varsity Football @ Home v. Alta-Aurelia
While students and coaches have been preparing for their upcoming seasons, practices for cross county, football and volleyball will officially begin on Monday, August 10. The Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union and Iowa High School Athletic Association just yesterday updated guidance for student-athletes, coaches, parents, and spectators. We are working with members of the Siouxland Conference to develop uniform expectations to keep everyone safe and healthy, while supporting our member schools’ student-athletes. For the most up-to-date schedules for all Central Lyon teams and extra-curricular activities utilize the Calendar available on the school’s website.
We continue to plan to welcome students and families in grades TK-12 for our Back-to-School night from 4 to 8 p.m. on Monday, August 17. In order to allow for social distancing as families to meet their classroom teacher and drop off their school supplies, we have created the following schedule to do our best to limit the total number of people in the building at any one time. We recommend everyone wear of a face covering on back-to-school night.
- 4:00-5:00 p.m.: students with last names starting with A thru F
- 5:00-6:00 p.m.: students with last names starting with G thru K
- 6:00-7:00 p.m.: students with last names starting with L thru R
- 7:00-8:00 p.m.: students with last names starting with S thru Z
Our continued partnership is essential as we take the steps necessary to navigate this pandemic, and we want to reiterate our thanks for your patience, grace, and cooperation going forward. Please know we will continue to monitor the spread of the virus in our community, and collaborate with Lyon County Public Health, the IDOE, and IDPH, and will take the necessary steps needed to maintain the health and safety of students, staff, and our community. As we have all learned, this may mean an unexpected change, so please continue to monitor your email. I encourage you and your family to remain vigilant in your efforts to stop the spread of this virus.