District LAU Plan
K-12 Lau (ELL) Plan for Serving English Learners (ELs)
The purpose of the Central Lyon Community School’s ELL Program is to provide ELL students language and cultural instruction in a non-threatening, welcoming environment, as well as instruction and guidance in English language fluency in order to obtain academic and social success. Click here for the full plan in PDF format.
The goals of the Central Lyon Community School District’s ELL Program ensure that all students are prepared to become productive citizens in a global society. The staff in the Central Lyon Community School district will learn to:
- Teach English language comprehension through listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills to attain English proficiency and academic competence.
- Educate ELLs to meet the same challenging academic content and student academic achievement that all children are expected to meet.
- Provide students the opportunity to progress academically with their peer group by using tutor assistance in their first language.
- Involve families and community leaders in the educational process in order to make education a cooperative effort between home and school.
- Communicate with parents in their first language when it is needed.
- Foster positive self-concepts and attitudes towards school.
- Promote pride in students’ cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
Lau Plan Advisory Committee
David Ackerman, Central Lyon District Superintendent
Steve Harman, Central Lyon District Elementary Principal
Jason Engleman, Central Lyon Middle/High School Principal
Jerry Pytleski, Central Lyon Middle School Science Instructor
Julie Boekhout, 2nd grade Central Lyon Elementary Instructor
Laureen Schram, 4th grade Central Lyon Elementary Instructor
Mitch Peschon, Central Lyon Elementary/Middle School ELL Instructor
Lisa VandeStouwe, ATLAS Director
Xochitl Robison, Native Language Interpreter
Sara Youngers, NWAEA Title III Consultant