History of Central Lyon Community School
The first school in Rock Rapids was built in the late 1870's. In 1897, a high school was built at the intersection 5th Avenue and Carroll Street (now known as Old School Park). When a new high school was built, the building was used as a grade school and was demolished in approximately 1970.
In July 1922, Spencer Construction was awarded a contract of $134,108 to build Wilson High School at 7th Avenue and Story Street. Wilson High School was dedicated to Mr. Wynant S. Wilson, a school superintendent. Wilson was also the name of the president at the time. The first class ever to graduate from Wilson High School was in 1924. This class consisted of 17 individuals.
In 1959, the Rock Rapids Independent School District became the Central Lyon Community School District as a result of a merger with the Doon Public School.
In the early 1960's, seven country school buildings were moved from their rural homes and placed on a 232 x 212 lot on the east side of Rock Rapids. They were painted different colors to make it easier for the students to remember where they belong. These buildings were officially referred to as East Elementary Center. The elementary and middle school classes moved into the current elementary building located at 1105 S. Story Street in January 1968.
A new high school was built on to the elementary/middle school building. The class of 1999 was the first class to graduate from the current high school building located at 1010 S. Greene Street. Additions of a weight room/wrestling facility and vestibules for the main entrances were built in 2015.