7th Grade English Goals
Students will be able to
1. Write argumnts to support claims with clear reasons and relevant evidence.
2. Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas, concepts, and information through the selection, organization, and analysis of relevant content.
3.Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, relevant descriptive details, and well-structured event sequences.
4. Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
5. With some guidance and support from peers and adults, develop and strengthen writing as needed by planning, revising, editing, rewriting, or trying a new approach, focusing on how well purpose and audience have been addressed.
6. Use technology, including the internect, to produce and publish writing and link to and cite sources as well as to interact and collaborate with others, including linkingto and citing sources.
7. Conduct short research projets to answer a question, drawing on several sources and generating additional related, focused questions for further research and investigation.
8. Gather relevant information from multiple print and digital sources, using search terms effectively; assess the credibility and accuracy of each source; and quote or paraphase the data and conclusions of others while avoiding plagiarism and following a standard format for citiation.
9. Draw evidence from literary or informational texts to support analysis, reflection, and research.
10. Write routinely over extended time frames and shorter time frames for a range of discipline-specific tasks, purposes, and audiences.
1. Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammer and usuage when writing or speaking.
2. Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.
3. Use knowledge of language and its conventions when writing, speaking, reading, or listening.
4. Detemine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases.
5. Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and nuances in word meanings.
6. Acquire and use accurately grade-appropriate general academic and domain-specific words and phrases; gather vocabulary knowledge when considering a word or phrase important to comprehension or expression.