High school football started in Rock Rapids in 1902! The first coach was Dr J.A. Roth. A newspaper article from that year lists the players from a game vs Pipestone: center-C Lamberson, right guard-Lansen, right tackle-Key, right end-Apple, left guard-Blair, left tackle-Marin, left end-Puckett, quarterback-Steinmetz, left half-Loveland (captain), right half-W Lamberson, full back-Roth.
A "town team" was organized in Rock Rapids in 1903. It was made up of people in the community, several of which were ex-college players.
The quarterback club had it's first ever meeting on September 28, 1950! The meeting was in the rear room of the Lyon Cafe at 7:30 AM. Head coach Bud Kervink was joined by assistant coach John Palmolea. Members in attendance for that first meeting were: Wally Mitchell, John Porter, DeWitt Lockwood, Dr J.A. Roth, Conrad Brugmann, George Anderson, Denver Dietz, Ted Brynteson & Gilbert Dietz.
George started playing football in 1960.